Carrots are undoubtedly one of the healthiest vegetables on earth. They come in different shapes and colors, but my daughter’s favorites are red carrots. Red carrot is a superfood for kids, as they are loaded with a healthy component called the lycopene. It safeguards the […]
Mixed vegetable cutlet is the easiest way to add vegetable of your choice into your little one’s tiffin box. You can sneak in all kind of vegetables which your child makes faces to eat. The choice of vegetable is totally yours, the ultimate goal is […]
Spinach and corn combo is a match made in heaven. The Cheese Spinach Corn pockets are easy to prepare and make healthy tiffin choice for kids. Chickpeas are power packed with nutrients. They are high in protein, fibre which makes it filling food for babies and toddlers. Try out this yummy and easy toddler recipe.
Salted Chickpeas and Whole Wheat Cheese Spinach Corn Pockets
For Salted Chickpeas
- Chickpeas – ½ cup soaked for 7-8 hours preferably overnight
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Salt to taste
For Whole Wheat Cheese Spinach Corn Pockets
- Whole Wheat flour – 1 Cup
- Boiled Sweet Corn – ½ Cup
- Finely Chopped Spinach – 2 tablespoon
- Cheese – 1 tablespoon
- Oregano – 2 teaspoons
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- salt to taste
- Water 1-2 cups
- Butter – 2-3 cubes
Method to Prepare Salted Chickpeas and Whole Wheat Cheese Spinach Corn pockets
- Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas in 1.5 cups of water for 6-7 whistles in high flame. Make sure to add 1 teaspoon of salt to it.
- Let the pressure go off. Drain the excess water, the salted chickpeas are ready.
- In order to prepare the Whole Wheat Cheese Spinach Corn pockets, begin with preparing the wheat dough.
- Take whole wheat flour, add salt and 2 teaspoons of butter. Add the required water and prepare a soft dough similar to chapathi dough. Allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Let us prepare the Cheese Spinach Corn filling, take a pan, add butter and few drops of oil to make sure butter is not burnt during the cooking process.
- Add boiled sweet corn and spinach and toss in high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the sweet corn fluffs up and spinach is cooked well, add oregano, pepper powder, and salt. Sauté it for 4-5 minutes in medium flame. Allow this mix to cool at room temperature.
- Add the grated cheese to sweet corn and spinach mix. The Cheese Spinach Corn filling is ready.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it into thin small chapati, add the Cheese Spinach Corn at the center and seal the edges by gentling pressing it.
- Repeat the same for rest of the dough and Cheese Spinach Corn filling.
- I used idli vessel to steam Cheese Spinach Corn pockets, grease the idli plates with butter, place the Cheese Spinach Corn pockets and brush little amount of melted butter on top of each Cheese Spinach Corn pocket.
- Allow the pockets to steam for 10-15 minutes in medium flame.
- Serve the Cheese Spinach Corn pockets hot with homemade tomato garlic chutney.
- You can use the chapati dough as the base to make pockets, instead of preparing a fresh batch.
- Make the pockets thin so that it gets steamed and cooked evenly.
- Water can be used to seal the edges of pocket in case of cracks.
- Make sure to cool the filling completely before adding the grated cheese, else you won’t be able to feel the cheesy texture.